Friday, February 27, 2009

The day before I leave

So it has come to the last full day here in Buenos Aires for me (this time around :-). Dancing every day, studying and practicing for the last three weeks, and feeling the beat of the creative chaos of this great city under my feet everywhere (making sure that that beat is not softened too much by you-know-what, which you can occasionally find spread generously in front of you on the sidewalk as you innocently walk about).

So, after all of the fancy stuff, I must say that I still enjoyed the most dancing to the oldies like Donato. For example, last evening at El Beso (Lujos) I lucked out dancing the whole tanda of Donato (started with El Acomodo and finished with El Adios) with a very nice Polish lady, good dancer. Mmmmm... we were both in heaven and I just did not want it to stop.

There is something magical for me in that softly, slowly moving Donato's beat, it is both romantic and joyful even when the content is sad. So, when you both let go, when you surrender to the feeling of it, and move smoothly back and forth and around and up and down with the waves of that mesmerizing music, mmmmm... It's heaven when you truly feel one with your partner, both in body and in spirit.

At the end we both said "mmmm ... perhaps I'll see you again."

You know, this tango world is really quite small, albeit spread around. I often see familiar faces when I go from one milonga to another here. I see faces from other parts of the world which I might have seen years ago here or somewhere else. We all somehow perform this pilgrimage to the mecca of tango to recharge our batteries and return to our own corner of wilderness reinvigorated. Tango has that magic which hooks you and sweetly does not let go. Once you taste that candy you just want to keep it melting in you forever.

So, my dear Polish dancer, I hope to see you again somewhere, but in the meantime do spread your sweetness around generously, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment