Wednesday, June 29, 2011

new and improved

Had a great dinner/evening with my friends Mimi, Wanda, and Gordon last evening -- Mimi had just arrived from her Europe tour of teaching tango earlier in the day. And, of course, things tango were the major conversation. Mimi, being her usual self, never ending to seek and produce more and more ways to bring her experience as a teacher and dancer close to us tango lovers, introduced yet another way of deconstructing the embrace, the central element of the dance.

I tried her suggestions and experienced the "aha!" moment. Unbelievable! Quite a simple concept or realigning various components of the embrace (hands, arms, shoulders, torso, head) in a particular way. You have to see it to believe it. I immediately felt the improvement. Of course, I will now have to play with it and practice until I am completely comfortable so that it enters my subconsciousness and provides a qualitative jump in my dance experience and, hopefully, of that of my partner.

Looking forward to these 10 days with Mimi around (workshops in Tallahassee this weekend and in Gainesville the next). How lucky we are to have two master teachers come teach in the "provinces" - Mimi, the absolute authority on the posture, and Jorge Torres, the pivot and dissasociation guru - thanks to my friend Gordon.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dubravko! Thank you for so terrific video and so interesting and fascinating blog. I read some of your article, for a example Tango Principles, I was really impressed with your philosophy, it is so closed to my feeling of Tango, life, and interection between people :)
    Thank you!!
    NB

    ReplyDelete