Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tango elements, concepts, and techniques


The thoughts presented here are my first attempt to formalize and put into words a guide which I have developed in teaching tango - the dance. I will continue refining this guide in future blog entries.

When I teach tango to those new to it, and provided that I have about 15-20 hours to do it, I systematize it as follows. I introduce and work on elements, concepts, and techniques. In addition, I introduce exercises which are helpful in developing some aspects of technique.

Elements of tango dancing are those things which are always present in the dance. They are: walking, posture, embrace, connection, and musicality.

Concepts are those things which are applied in a certain situation or scenario of the dance. They include: tracks, cross or hook step, parallel and cross walk system, change of front, change of direction, code, elegance.

Techniques are those things which help us use a concept well. They include: weight transfer, pivoting, leg movement, body core maintenance, axis maintenance, balance, body disassociation, linear and circular/rotational movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment